Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Taking a Leap of Faith

Jumping out of an airplane was never something I desired or imagined. It was not on the top of my bucket list, or anywhere for that matter on my list of 202 things to do during my lifetime. At one point in time just stepping onto an airplane seemed a challenge insurmountable. But with a little, ok a lot of coaching and coddling, with a family full of cheerleaders chanting ‘you can do it, you can do it’ I took the steps needed to put that fear in the past.

I believe everything happens for a reason and life takes us where we need to go and life knows when we need to go there. This year has been a transition year in my life; I welcomed my first grandchild into the world, became unemployed and am currently in the process of starting my own business. I thought that was enough on my plate for this year until I semi -accidently stumbled across the Leap of Faith challenge.

There I was innocently minding my own business, casually surfing cyberspace while savouring a mouthwatering cup of coffee when a full dose of fear/courage combined hit me smack in the face.! I was checking out the AboutFace website to see if there were any upcoming events that I wanted to participate in when I clicked on link that directed to the Leap of Faith fundraising challenge. As I read about this event my heart started to beat faster, I felt a rush of adrenaline race through my veins and crazy thoughts began flying through my head. ‘This is nuts, Christine’ I said to myself as I removed myself from my computer chair and went for a short walk around the house to clear my head.

After sufficient time to return my senses had passed I sat back down in front of my computer and reread the details. This is not so crazy I thought, ‘I can do this’ I said. Jumping out of an airplane takes a minute amount of courage compared to courage exhibited everyday by my son Ryan and the hundred of thousand kids born with facial differences. I owe it to my son, to the nurses and doctors, to the other children and families that supported us through his many surgeries and hospital stays. I owe it to myself to find in me the courage to conquer the fears that hold me back from experiencing all life has to offer.

Before I could change my mind I clicked on the Jump or Pledge link and quickly filled out the registration form. That was the easy part, now comes the task of preparing myself emotionally and physically for taking this Leap of Faith. Then comes the task of putting my mouth and pen where my heart is and getting the word out there so I can gain all the support I can for this wonderful cause. Each jumper must raise a minimum of $1000 to qualify. The sky is the limit for me; I am setting my goal above and beyond that $5000+++. I might miss my target but I’ll still land among the stars.

I’ve always been an optimist. I am taking this Leap in Faith with my eyes and heart wide open. But even if the worst case scenario happens and I land SPLAT! On my face, my kids will be there to pick up my pieces, and faithfully they’ll put to good use the publicity they can make from that.

To learn more AboutFace and the Leap of Faith fundraiser in support of Camp Trailblazers visit:

AboutFace - http://www.aboutfaceinternational.org/

Leap of Faith- http://www.leap-of-faith.ca/home/

I am no longer alone. My sister Janice Weir and friend Michelle Rich are joining me. Follow our Leap of Faith Journey here.


Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon

No comments:

Post a Comment